Monday, April 23, 2007

Dana's been around a long time.

I just did not know how long until I ran across the following quote today.
“Why can't you see?
We just want to be free
To have our homes and families
And live our lives as we please.”

Dana Rohrabacher - West Coast Libertarian Troubadour (1973)
Nice sentiment, Dana. It has a lot of appeal to honest, hard working people who would like big government to leave them alone. It is also the appeal of those with other things to hide from view. Take Randy Cunningham, for example. I can just hear him telling Carol Lam the same words.

The real problem that I sense is that there are a lot of people who are just plain fed up with the fact that they are working the ass off, spending too much time on the freeways, too little time with their families and know that they are getting the shaft.

When the so called party of small government loads up its budgets with pork for every pet district project, bridges to nowhere, and blows away the balanced budgets that we had in 2000, then we know where to turn. This "leave me alone and let me do my own thing" may make a good sentiment for Kenny Chesney, but it doesn't make good policy in Washington.

Maybe, back then, he was just inhaling.

No comments: